Protect your Bones, Boost Energy & Cut Cravings
This blog has some tips to cut your cravings and boost your energy.
It is all about cutting out sugar.
But the truth is, you might feel a little lousy in the short-term when you stop eating added sugar (especially if you normally eat a lot of it).
Sugar affects our body in so many ways, right down to the cellular level. It triggers your hormones, fires up your brain, and some experts say it even has addictive qualities.
That’s because when it enters your bloodstream, your body releases “feel-good” hormones like serotonin and dopamine – the same hormones some drugs (including cocaine) can affect. Sugar also depletes calcium from the bones to neutralize the acid from the sugar.
The ironic thing is that you can get into a cycle where you crave it for an energy boost – but in the end, it actually leaves you feeling even more tired!
The good news: Breaking that sugar-rush-and-crash loop doesn’t take very long for most people.
Here are some things you can do to keep your energy up:
- Have a cup of tea. Some studies suggest that drinking green tea can help with balancing your blood sugar – and the caffeine in it can definitely give you a little energy boost.
- Get some fresh air. Go for a walk outside! Exercise + sunlight = Vit D + Bone-building movement + more energy. Plus, changing your scenery can shift your perspective.
- Drink a glass of water. Being even a little dehydrated can make you feel tired (and also bring on the cravings). Make sure you’re drinking at least half your body weight in ounces of water each and every day! Add a ¼ teaspoon of sea salt to boost your electrolytes.
- Eat a balanced diet, with plenty of protein and healthy fats, to keep your blood sugar in check and slow down your hunger.
Do your best to power through … and go to bed early if it comes to that. In a day or two, you’ll notice your energy is back (and then some!).
It is SO WORTH THE EFFORT for your bones to ditch added sugar. Here are just some of the reasons why!
- It can lead to weight gain. Added sugars load your body up with calories that have virtually NO nutritional benefit. Again, sugar can rob your bones of vital minerals (like calcium and magnesium). NO THANK YOU.
- It can raise your risk of heart disease. Excess sugar can increase inflammation in your body as well as your triglyceride, blood pressure and blood sugar levels. PLUS, it’s linked to atherosclerosis, which can clog your arteries.
- It is linked with type 2 diabetes. Your body goes through hormonal swings when you eat sugar – releasing insulin (Read more about insulin and bones here) and other substances to help your body remove it from your bloodstream. If you’re consuming too much sugar, you can potentially develop insulin resistance and diabetes over time.
- Too much sugar can 1) cause acne and 2) speed up the rate your skin ages because it interferes with collagen and elastin, which are key for building bones and affects how firm your skin looks.
- It’s linked with certain cancers. Research is still ongoing, but a diet high in sugar can lead to other factors (such as obesity, insulin resistance, and inflammation) that are associated with some forms of cancer.
- It speeds the aging process. Studies show it makes your cells age more quickly – and potentially does the same to your body.
- And on and on … it can harm your liver, it’s linked with depression, it’s not good for your teeth, can affect your hunger hormones, etc. etc. etc.
When you look at all the reasons NOT to eat sugar, it makes it much easier to stay motivated, doesn’t it?
Stay strong, you’ve got this!
If you want to learn more about your bones, email me @ firstname.lastname@example.org or contact me @ 360 317 4614.